7.2.1. Rechargeable battery
The car considered in this manual has the electric system working energized 12 V. Mass of a body connects to the minus plug of the rechargeable battery. The rechargeable battery is in a motor compartment or under a back seat (models with the conditioner, and also some diesel modifications).
The rechargeable battery performs three main functions in electric system of the car:
– gives electric current for launch of the engine;
– stabilizes tension in electric system;
– can provide in a short space of time with current when consumption of energy exceeds the output power of the generator.
Tight rechargeable batteries – standard for all cars. They on the case have no jellied traffic jams. The rechargeable battery is completely tight, apart from two small side openings for ventilation. These air vents allow to disappear to the formed gases.
Tight rechargeable batteries have the following advantages over ordinary rechargeable batteries:
– for durability of rechargeable batteries it is not necessary to add waters;
– the battery is protected from a recharge. If too big tension is brought to the rechargeable battery, it will not accept so much current, how many the ordinary battery. Increase in tension will continue to charge the ordinary battery that leads to gas generation and loss of electrolyte;
– the battery can be recharged, as well as usual. It is very important when the car costs in one place long time;
– at the smaller sizes and weight, tension and current remained the same.
The rechargeable battery has two indicators:
– the indicator of capacity of the rechargeable battery is defined at 27 °C. Capacity at a full charge provides 10,5 B and more;
– the indicator of capacity of the rechargeable battery at launch of the cold engine is defined by testing at –18 °C. By this test it is possible to establish battery power at a provorachivaniye of a bent shaft on the cold engine.
Reserve power of the rechargeable battery is defined as the greatest possible long time for the movement in the night from minimum by electric loading without use of output power of the generator. The expressed in minutes, reserve power (or an indicator E) is necessary time for the full charged rechargeable battery at 27 °C and a discharge current 25 A for achievement on tension plugs in 10,5 Century.
Service life of the rechargeable battery is not boundless. Nevertheless, at appropriate leaving the rechargeable battery will serve many years.
If the rechargeable battery passed test well, but failures in work come to light, the following factors can be a cause of defect or refusal:
– some device was left included on all night long;
– the car moved to the short periods at a small speed;
– electric loading of the car exceeded the output power of the generator, is frequent with turning on of the non-standard equipment;
– malfunction in system of charging – sliding of a belt of the generator, malfunction of the generator or regulator of tension and t. д;
– misuse of the battery – not carrying out cleaning, the wrong fixing of plugs or weakening of clips;
– mechanical malfunctions of electric system – the short-circuited or jammed wires.
Tight rechargeable batteries have the built-in areometer used for diagnostics.
The seen "green point" means that the battery is ready to testing.
Change of color of "a green point" on more dark demonstrates that the battery is not ready to testing. In this case it is necessary to check electric systems and charging.
Fig. 7.4. Rechargeable battery of the Mazda 3 car: 1 – wire of the negative plug; 2 – wire of the positive plug; 3 – fastening arm; 4 – rechargeable battery; 5 – lower tray
Light yellow color means that the level of liquid fell below an areometer tip. It can become the reason of excessive or long charging or wear of the battery. If the battery cannot be recharged, replace it.